Andover Historic Preservation


112 MAIN ST112 main st (click to enlarge)

112 MAIN ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Other features: blind quarter fans in gable; long front windows

historical narrative

Original owner; Hon. Amos Abbott (1786-1868), m. 1812
Present owner(1968): Skeehy?, John & Mary

Themes: Architectural, community development

Historical significance: Deacon Amos Abbott was a merchant and a state representative and Senator. He resided in the house next to his store, 106 Main Street. He formerly lived in Issac Abbott Tavern, Elm Street. Amos Abbott was South Parish's First Congressional Representative. He was 1st President of Andover Institution of Savings, May 1835. He was town surveyor, 1812, 1814, and 1816; Town Clerk 1822, 1826, 1828, and Town Treasurer 1824 - 1829. He served on school committee 1828 - 1830; was Representative to Massachusetts General Court 1835 - 1855 and 1843; and was State Senator 1840 - 1842.

The honorable Amos Abbott was one of Andover's leading citizens. He was also a founder of The Boston and Maine Railroad and a director.

His house, next to this store was built by Jacob Chickering 1832 - 1833, and this residence of his, also in Greek Revival, was probably also by Jacob Chickering. (see Poore, Dr. Alfred - "Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863", Vol. XLIX, July 1913, "Essex Institute Historical Collection).

Abbott's store was dry goods, groceries and drugs. In 1913 it was owned by Mrs. S. K. Johnson and was occupied by Circle Tearoom.

1850s - 1880s Mr. Nathan Ellis lived here.

Also known as Penniman House - S. Ella and Annie B. Penniman were owners-occupants after 1937. Improved and renovated.

Phillips Academy owned - 1962.

Brick fašade may be later addition for fire protection.

Timeline:
1854 Residence
1896 Not listed
1906 - 1943 Residence
1953 Not listed
1992 Residence

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files

Maps 1852 and 1856 Walling; 1872 Beer's Atlas

Dormen, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830

Carter, Emily; "Main Street in 1850" - Andover Townsman, Jan. 23, 1934

Fuess, Claude; "Andover, Symbol of New England", 1959
"Amos Abbot" - Bibliographical Directory of the American Congress

See also: Barn survey

Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953

Maps: 1854, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 112 MAIN ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 112 main st
Historic Name: Abbott, Dea. Amos Dry Goods and Grocery Store
Present Use: dwelling and Law of Ice
Original Use:
Date of Construction: ca. 1830
Source: Andover Historical Society files
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering?
Foundation: stone foundation
Wall/Trim: brick front; clapboard sides & rear
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Clapboarded barn and garage; attached shed
Major Alterations: Renovated (1937) barn and garage razed (1969) barn demolished (1988)
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; Lot size: 26,900 sq.ft.; Approx. frontage: 128'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.338
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Brian Lee (cwo)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977; July 1992

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo