Andover Historic Preservation


1-7 MAIN ST1-7 main st (click to enlarge)

1-7 MAIN ST

historical narrative

This business block on the corner of Main & Central Streets was constructed in the summer of 1884 by owner Charles L. Carter, proprietor of the Mansion House at Phillips Academy. The building contractors were Abbott & Jenkins of Andover. Ezra Farnum put in the foundation. This business block was originally designed with five store fronts, 3 on Main Street, 1 on Elm Square and 1 on Central St. in the basement and office units on the second story. By October 1884 the Andover Advertiser noted “The finish on Carter’s block embraces a good deal of ginger bread work.” In November he was advertising rooms and stores for rent.

Jan. 16, 1885 AA. The three stores in the first story of Carter’s Block on Main Street, have been let. One is to be occupied for a grocery, another for a millinery and dry goods and the smaller one on the corner for an office; by John Cornell, coal and wood dealer.
Feb. 27, 1885 AA H. A. Bodwell has opened furniture warerooms in Carter’s building on Main St. It is his intention to keep on hand and for sale, a full assortment of the most desirable goods in his line of business. Carpets of the latest patterns and all grades… upholstering and repairing will be done at short notice and reasonable prices.

This building replaced the former brick Federalist building built in the early 1800’s and housed several stores on the street level and offices and a meeting hall on the top stories. “The brick store was occupied for many years by Henry Abbott and his son Henry W. Abbott. In the hall over this store the “Peace Supper” was held in 1815.” The building was entirely destroyed by fire on Sunday morning, February 17, 1884. The businesses lost included, Johnson’s Boston Express, McLawlin & Baker, hardware dealers and telephone office, the Royal Arcanum & H. P. Wright, boot and shoe dealer.

When Macartney’s clothing store purchased the building in 1968, after being a tenant for several years, they removed and covered all the Victorian wood trim work on the upper story creating a more Colonial look to the façade. The store was expanded into the space once occupied by Ruth Hammond’s dress shop facing Elm Square.

Some businesses that have occupied the new Carter Block;
J. H. Campion & Co. grocery, Vermont Tea & Butter Co. Ruth Hammond’s dress store, John Chandler’s Coal Co., Cross Coal Company, Lawrence Gas & Electric Co. , Elander & Swanton’s, Macartney’s clothing, Kaps clothing, on street level & Elite Beauty Shop, Real Estate, Attorney & Architect offices on the second level.

Owners of the property;
Robert, Ruth & Gardner Macartney 1968, April 29 bk. 1129 pg. 130 NEROD
Gertrude M & James H. Souter 1956, Jan. 06 bk. 827 pg. 202
John H. Campion, Myrtie Mae Campion 1917, Jan. 02 bk. 372 pg. 515- 519
Samuel P. Hulme to Trustees of the Jacob Barnard Estate –mortgage
John H. Campion 1910, July 01 bk. 292 pg. 226
Sarah N. Carter widow of Charles Carter 1910, June 13 probate #108424
Sarah & Charles L. Carter 1893 Dec. 02 bk. 130 pg. 79-81
Charles L. & Sarah N. Carter 1878, Sept. 02 bk. 53 pg 166
Two adjoining land parcels
Charles L. Carter from Rufus C. Hardy 1879 May 28 bk. 57 pg 60-61
Charles L. Carter from John J. Brown 1879 Aug. 5 bk. 57 pg 58-59
Charles H. Abbott & Alern Abbott & heirs 18__,
[heirs Charles H, & wife Alern H., Frederick M., Catherine F. Abbott
& Helen A. Ingersol wife of Edward Ingersol of NY]
Henry W. Abbott 1851 Dec. 10 bk. 461 lf.254 Salem
Sarah A. Holt 18__,

bibliography/references

Researched
Jim Batchelder Preservation Commission Jan. 7, 2010

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 1-7 MAIN ST
Place: The Carter Block
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 1-7 main st
Historic Name: The Carter Block
Present Use: stores and offices
Original Use: stores
Date of Construction: summer of 1884
Source:
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: Abbott & Jenkins, Ezra Farnum
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: Victorian wood trim on upper story (covered in 1968)
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: JB / db
Organization:
Date: May 14, 2010

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo