Andover Historic Preservation


154 ANDOVER ST154 andover st (click to enlarge)

154 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

LHD
Late Greek/Picturesque

Steam & auto burners heating

This building was designed as a meeting place with large windows and a large centered double door. The ceiling in the meeting room was lowered from 12 ft to 9 ft in 1909 and a bay window was added on the South side at the same time. The windows lost about 2 ft. in height. 1 unit - 5 rooms, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath built in 1888 by Hardy and Cole; 2 sheds; 1 deck

historical narrative

Owners:
1890 Was a German Club in late 19th century.
31 Dec 51 John J. Murnane (1975-77)
Charles P. Eugene & John J. Murnane

Themes: architectural, community development, education,
recreation

Club for German employees of Bradlee Mills at Ballardvale. Home of German Club and also the Cosmopolitan Singing Society; also a German school with classes held every Saturday from 2:30 - 5:30 pm (Americans admitted). Club incorporated Feb. 10, 1890.

Many German workmen came to Ballardvale with their families in the early 1880s to work for Craighead and Kintz? Co. who produced oil lamps and fixtures and artistic bronzes. In 1885 they founded a German club and hired Andover contractors Hardy and Cole to build their club house. The club sponsored the Cosmopolitan Singing Society, taught a German School on Saturday and held an annual clambake on the Shawsheen River every fall. Club was incorporated Feb 10, 1890. Descendents of Emil Hoffman, club president, still live in this former club house. Many of the men in the Murnane family were firemen and related to the Hoffman family. The house has served as a residence since 1909.

bibliography/references

1891 Andover Street Directory
A.H.S. files

Town of Andover Assessment summary

Family history related by John Murnane, the present (1998) owner and included news clippings

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 154 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 154 andover st
Historic Name: Cosmopolitan Hall
Present Use: residence
Original Use: School, German Club, Cosmopolitan Singing Society
Date of Construction: 1885
Source: style; Recorders Archives
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Hardy & Cole
Foundation: brick
Wall/Trim: wood/clapboards
Roof: Asphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures garage and shed
Major Alterations: front porch added
Condition: excellent (1998)
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 22,746 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: 125'
Setting: Approx. distance to street 15'
MHC inventory number: ANV.27
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/1993 (L.L., B.M.H.)

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo