Andover Historic Preservation

174-176 ANDOVER ST174-176 andover st (click to enlarge)

174-176 ANDOVER ST

architectural description


Wide eaves; brackets & round arched windows 2nd floor; tall slender windows first floor; gable roof (slate); 10 rooms, 2 units, 2 baths, 4 bedrooms, 2 chimneys

historical narrative

Quesenberry, George & Isabel (10 Oct 50; 1975-77)
Thibeault, Kevin - 176 (date?)
Durling, Frederick E. & Ethel M. (date?)
Fred Durling owned and occupied it.

Original owner: Boston & Maine Railroad

Themes: architectural, community development, transportation

Originally part of Ballardvale's second railroad station after old Andover & Wilmington railroad was absorbed by Boston & Maine Railroad and located in the center of Ballardvale - when development of city of Lawrence in mid-1840's necessitated more direct route to Boston.

Hall over passenger station used by Methodists for worship. Catholic services were also held here, as were lectures, Punch & Judy shows, stereopticon lectures and meetings of various organizations. Meetings of the Good Templars and other activities were also held in the hall.
In 1860 (approx) one half was moved to the present site and became the home of the Station Master.


Andover Historical Society files
Town of Andover Assessment summary
2 Newspaper Articles enclosed in binder

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 174-176 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 174-176 andover st
Historic Name: Ballardvale Boston and Maine Railroad Station, Depot house
Present Use: residence
Original Use: Part of railroad station
Date of Construction: ca. 1847-1850; mid-19th century
Source: style - njs
Style/Form: Italianate
Architect/Builder: Boston and Maine Railroad
Foundation: brick-stone
Wall/Trim: asbestos shingles
Roof: slate
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: Front porch added
Moved: approx. 1860
Acreage: less than one acre; 12,150 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 93'
Setting: Residential
MHC inventory number: ANV.28
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/1993/ Feb 1998

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo