Andover Historic Preservation


179 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA LHD

Late Greek/Gothic Revival

Tudor drip mouldings on front windows; simpler ones on gable ends; interesting windows in gables

historical narrative

Original owner: Town of Andover

Other uses: stores, library, voting area, community center

Themes: architectural, community development, education

The first floor Andover St. level housed a variety of retail stores; the 2nd level - Ballardvale Library; precinct (voting purposes); later used for Boy Scout meetings, etc. Third floor - large community hall; building was known as "community rooms."

This was site of Post Office when Mr. Geo Bruce was Post Master (around 1930).

Demolished in 1981 by the Town of Andover

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 179 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 179 andover st
Historic Name: Ballardvale Community Center
Present Use:
Original Use: school house (Ballardvale district)
Date of Construction: 1849
Source: style - njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: high stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished: yes, 1981 by Town of Andover
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.29
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/updated 1993

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo