Andover Historic Preservation

189-191 ANDOVER ST189-191 andover st (click to enlarge)

189-191 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

Federal/Greek Revival

This house is of Federal style built circa 1835 as a side by side duplex - 2 front doors with two hallways, leading to 2nd floors and 2 more leading to the attic. Originally had 8 fireplaces which had been bricked in when central heating was installed. Two of them had beehive ovens - still in good condition. There are still 5 fireplaces exposed with their original mantels restored as are all the window casings and doors. The original front porch has been replaced, and the double doors have been replaced with one door, which serves all three apartments. The duplex is now (1998) a three apartment house. The house is built into a bank close to the sidewalk. (3 baths, 2 half baths, 10 rooms, 4 bedrooms.)

historical narrative

Owner: Jan & Robert Henderson (1990)

Themes: architectural, community development

June 1990 - Award for Exterior Preservation

Some of the names on the early records list John Marland, Howe, French, Clark, and Mann. On the 1830 map the site is marked "Ballards". In 1847 the property was deeded to Asa H. and Joseph Brown. Asa was an express man (Ballardvale and Boston Express), Joseph was a harness maker, and his sign still hangs in the basement where he carried on his business. Asa married Amanda Parker, and Joseph married Lucie Parker - not related, but both lived in Vermont. Arthur Kelly, a grandson in this family, sold the property on 31 Dec 1981 to the present owners, Robert and Janice Henderson.

Received Andover Historical Commission Award for restoration of a historic house.


Janice Henderson supplied all inserts other than the Town of Andover Assessment Summary

Newspaper article 'Lawrence Eagle Tribune, 26 March 1995' and other information in Andover Historic Building Survey binder.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 189-191 ANDOVER ST
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 189-191 andover st
Historic Name:
Present Use: 3 family residence (Feb 1998), residence (1975-77)
Original Use: 2 family residence
Date of Construction: early 19th century
Source: style - njs; deed 1835
Style/Form: Federal
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: asphalt gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: Entry porch added 1890-1900 (removed 1983) Stained glass windows removed to rear (1983) Porch and front entry (Aug 1983)
Condition: excellent, good(1998)
Acreage: less than one acre; 0.595 acres
Setting: set into hill close to sidewalk
MHC inventory number: ANV.31
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Ruth sharpe (Ballardvale Historic District)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/1980s/1990/ Feb 1998

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo