Andover Historic Preservation


205-209 ANDOVER ST205-209 andover st (click to enlarge)

205-209 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

LHD
Federal/Greek Revival

historical narrative

Owners: Harry and May Nason (1944)
Trombly, Leslie & Valerie (4/21/58)

Themes: architectural, community development, industry

3-5 River St./205-207 Andover St. (1840) first housed the Ballardvale Mills store. Later, under Bradlee's ownership, featured a lecture and function hall on the second floor. A small shop selling lamp oil was in the new wing (River St. side). Daniel Poor, descendant of Daniel Poor of 211 Andover St., and John Riley operated a dry goods store until the 1920's when parts of the building were converted into apartments.

Dr. Poore (in reference noted) says "long block of River Street was built in 1844 to suffice needs of growing work force at Ballardvale Mills."

bibliography/references

Poore, Dr. Alfred: "Historical-Genealogical Visitation of Andover, Mass. in year 1863"
Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 48-49
Ballardvale Walking Tour, 1988

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 205-209 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 205-209 andover st
Historic Name:
Present Use: residence - apartments
Original Use: Ballardvale Millls store
Date of Construction: 1840's
Source: B'Vale Walking Tour
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: asbestos shingles
Roof: asphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage
Major Alterations:
Condition: fair to good
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; approx. frontage 90' River, 70' Andover St.
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: N.J. Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo