Andover Historic Preservation

23 ARUNDEL ST23 arundel st (click to enlarge)


architectural description


historical narrative

1985 to present (?) Robert & Lesley McCumber
1952-1985 Winston & Virginia Briggs

Building marker 1993

C. 1923 construction date based on pg. 92 & 93 of Roddy book, "Mills, Mansions & Mergers", which says that Shawsheen Village was constructed in five years ending in 1923. [An appraiser for mortage refinance states town records show 1912, which is impossible, since William Wood did not construct Shawsheen until 1918.]

All neighbors used a central garage (now Village Buick). Houses had to be white. No driveways were allowed, no laundry could be hung outside on Sundays. All woodwork and fireplace mantles were custom made by William Wood at a milling shop on Haverhill Street near the old Bank of Northeast branch.

Behind house and railroad tracks is a sidewalk called "Picadilly Path" which used to lead from Penguin Park to the train station at Brickstone Square. It used to have benches & old historic street lights (some light bases are still there) and was a Victorian promenade for residents taking the train to Boston.

Telephone lines still come in the house in underground wiring in cedar linings.


Roddy, "Mills, Mansions & Mergers"

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 23 ARUNDEL ST
Place: Shawsheen Village
Historic District: Shawsheen Village NRH District
Address: 23 arundel st
Historic Name:
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: c. 1923
Style/Form: Colonial Revival
Architect/Builder: Addison LeBoutillier
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: slate
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures small clapboard wood shed
Major Alterations: Library addition 14" x 24" with fireplace (April 1990)
Acreage: 10,260 sq. ft.
Setting: Residential neighborhood
MHC inventory number: ANV.1223
Recorded by: Robert & Lesley McCumber
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1993 ?

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo