Andover Historic Preservation


60-62 ESSEX ST60-62 essex st (click to enlarge)

60-62 ESSEX ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Right side of house is earlier.

historical narrative

Built as housing for workers at earliest spinning mills along the Shawsheen River. Subsequent use as tavern.

Owners: Auchterlunce, Joseph & Ester (1975); Ella & Linda Cougill (1994)

1. Auchterlunce, Joseph S. (11/25/55)
2. Auchterlunce, Joseph & Mary (12/56)
3. Auchterlunce, Joseph S. (12/70)

Themes: architectural, community development

#60 was part of Abbot Village mill housing. There was a tavern in the basement of the house.
Abbot brothers Paschal and Abel, and Abraham Marland operated their textile business from the first part of the 19th century along the Shawsheen.

Certificate of Appreciation - Andover Preservation Awards, May 1, 1994

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 60-62 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Andover Village Industrial NRH District
Address: 60-62 essex st
Historic Name: Abbot Village Mills Worker Housing
Present Use: residential, 2-family
Original Use: mill worker housing
Date of Construction: 150 years - early 19th century; c. 1820
Source: style - njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures garage attached
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 8,800 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 110'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.199
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/updated 1994

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo