Andover Historic Preservation


57 BALLARDVALE RD57 ballardvale rd (click to enlarge)

57 BALLARDVALE RD

historical narrative

Themes: Architectural, Coummunity Development

Two houses on site of "old red house" of Capt. Job, and larger one of son Nathen B. Abbot

Small house known as "The Old Red House". Captian Job Abbot built larger house for his son, Nathan Ballard Abbot, at time of his marrage to Elizabeth Lovejoy Noyes, 1842. The former ship captain supplied ship timber for the construction. Nathan later inherited both houses and land from father. May have been built by Jacob Chickering (Chickering records indicate: " Capt Job Abbott's cottage 23x30 feet at Vale ".

John B. Witham, a Marblehead shoe manufacturer, later bought as a summer home.

Eward W. Sturgis bought both houses and moved "old red house" from first (and present site), attaching it to the house. Three years later he returned it to the original foundation.

Sanborn was owner and resident to 1916/17.

Donavan acquired property at auction 1930 and 1931. Richard Wheeler, a Boston Archtiect, restored the "old red house".

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files.
Chickering, Jacob: "miscellaneous account records" @ North Andover Historical Society.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 57 BALLARDVALE RD
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 57 ballardvale rd
Historic Name: Capt. Job Abbot/Nathan Ballard Abbot House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 18th century
Source: And. His. Soc.files
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Stable-garage attached.
Major Alterations: Restored in 1931
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 2.73 acres
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.58
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo