Andover Historic Preservation


16 BALMORAL ST16 balmoral st (click to enlarge)

16 BALMORAL ST

architectural description

Ballustrade; pediments and columns over windows

historical narrative

Present owner: Crowning Shield Corp. (1975)

Themes: architectural, commerce, community development, education, industry, religion, social/humanitarian

Boarding school founded by Brother Peter Claver, 1946

Cited as the "architechural gem" of Shawsheen, this administration building follows the "colonial design" of the rest of the village. Its setting by the river is an attractive one. Erected in 1923 at a cost of $2,300,000.

Originally the building housed a large assembly hall as well as sixty offices. It consisted of four floors Administrative offices of the American Woolen Company were moved here from Boston in 1923.

Bought for boarding school, Nov. 1, 1945, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Purchase included Balmoral Athletic field and Cardinal Chushing Gym. School closed by 1975 due to declining enrollment. Town wanted to acquire open space areas accompanying total school parcel. Funds appropriated from town in 1976 for land and gym.

1977- Crowning Shield Corporation aquired building. Developers for conversion of school to apartment use, mostly one bedroom. Crowning Shield has no desire for land. No exterior alterations to building are planned at this time.

bibliography/references

See Area Form - Shawsheen - for complete bibliography.

Andover Townsman: June, 1977

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 16 BALMORAL ST
Place: Shawsheen
Historic District: Shawsheen Village NRH District
Address: 16 balmoral st
Historic Name: Administration Building
Present Use: Apartment building
Original Use: Office Bldg., Amer. Woolen Co.
Date of Construction: 1923
Source: Town Crier: Dir. Of Shawsheen Village
Style/Form: Georgian Revival
Architect/Builder: Adden & Parker of Boston
Foundation: cement
Wall/Trim: Brick and limestone
Roof: flat
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures none
Major Alterations: For school use in 1945; for apartments in 1977
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.39 acres
Setting: Site near the fields and river
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/ Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo