Andover Historic Preservation


47-49 BALMORAL ST47-49 balmoral st (click to enlarge)

47-49 BALMORAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS

historical narrative

Original owner: Joseph C. and Alma Lefebure
Owners: Neil, Robert & Elizabeth, 11-5-50

Themes; Architectural, Community development

When William Madison Wood, president of the American Woolen Co. , bought the land at Frye Village in order to fulfill his dream of creating a model village where the exectives and management of his office corporation could reside, work and spend their leisure, there were a few older houses which he did not demolish for the new " Wood and Brick " Colonial Revival Shawsheen Village, 1919-1924. This residence dates back to the day when Frye Village, a highway crossroads and a likely manufacturing center with Smith and Dove flax manufacturers, Donald's ink factory and the Poor Wagon shop, thrived.

In March 1922 "Old Brown House ", formerly used by John Marson-Wm. Cunningham and located at Poor and Main St., was moved to this site but burned. The "Old Burnham House ", formerly at 19 Haverhill St. & occupied by Marcus & Charlotte Hill, was then moved to this site.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 47-49 BALMORAL ST
Place: Shawsheen Village
Historic District: Shawsheen Village NRH District
Address: 47-49 balmoral st
Historic Name:
Present Use: residence - 3-family home
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1800
Source: assessors's rec./style -njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures none
Major Alterations: Doorways altered; may be 2 or 3 houses [connected?] moved separately, 1922
Condition:
Moved: 1922 by American Woolen Co.
Demolished:
Acreage: 10,020 sq. ft.; approx. frontage Balmoral St., 95 ft, Argyle St. 102 ft.
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.62
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo