Andover Historic Preservation


9 BANCROFT RD9 bancroft rd (click to enlarge)

9 BANCROFT RD

architectural description

Flush boarded pilasters flank entrance. Summer beams exposed; lambs tongue chamfers; gunstock posts on 2nd. floor.

historical narrative

Original owner Israel Putnam

Barn was Universalist Church 1839 - 1865
Barn was grammar school 1866 - 1878

Themes: architectual, community development, education, religion

Universalist Church was built 1830's corner of Main St. & Punchard Ave. (and present barn was this church originally). Later it was turned into a grammar school (1866-78). In 1890 this was sold and moved here (by 26 yoke of oxen) to become barn for the property.

In this same building, when it stood on Main St., some of the first meetings to organize abolitionist Free Christian Church were held, and their earliest services held here. Demolished 1986.

Area originally known as " Yeoman's land ". Property bought by Joseph Pearson of Wilmington, 1818, from Israel Putman, although Pearson may have lived there before. Passed to daughter, Hannah Pearson, who married Albert Bancroft of Reading, then to daughter Alice who married George Cheever. She was born here 1860. Fred Cheever resident-owner until his death, 1960's. (Owned by decendents of Joseph Pearson to 4th generation).

House originally faced south, but when Bancroft Road was put through, house made to face north by moving ell from north to south and entrance vestibule turned from south to north end.

New free standing barn built in 1987.

bibliography/references

Dorman, Moses: Map of Andover, 1830
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Anndover, 1946
Andover Historical Society files
Andover Townsman: May 29, 1946; June 9, 1890 ("small private school house situated Punchard Ave. offered for sale - to be removed by buyer )
Lawrence Eagle Tribune Sunday Drive #76 1/92

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 9 BANCROFT RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 9 bancroft rd
Historic Name: Pearson, Joseph - Bancroft, Albert House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: Barn - Universalist Church
Date of Construction: 1790
Source: assessors' records
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: asphalt
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Excellent barn at rear. (demolished 1986)
Major Alterations: Ell & vestibule moved to face north; rear addition added in early 2000's
Condition:
Moved: 1870's
Demolished:
Acreage: 4.5 acres; approx. frontage 376"
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.63
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo