Andover Historic Preservation


59 DASCOMB RD59 dascomb rd (click to enlarge)

59 DASCOMB RD

historical narrative

Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community Development

This house, built by local builder, Ernie Hall, who was a relation of the original owner, John W. Hall, Sr., a chicken farmer. The barn, now a garage, is particularly interesting because it was formerly a chicken-breeding/hatching house, with the upstairs heated and the cubicles remaining from the incubation process undertaken here.

There have been some alterations over the years, but the house is essentially as built. Former owner, A. Brian Stevens, opened two downstairs rooms into one large living room and the present owners eliminated the "birthing room" by knocking out a dividing wall. They also reshingled with cedar-wood and put in a cement foundation under the front porch.

There is a large old elm tree in the yard which predates the house and is 6 inches short in circumference of being a "Bicentennial Tree".

Owner: Jamison, James and Grace (1969)
Arthur Brian and Marjory Stevens bought from John Hall, Jr. and Eleanor P. Hall , 1964. Present owners bought from Stevens, 1969.

bibliography/references

Owners records and photographs of building in process of construction.
Interview with owner.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 59 DASCOMB RD
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 59 dascomb rd
Historic Name: Hall, John W. House and Chicken Farm
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence and chicken farm
Date of Construction: 1909-1911
Source: owners' records
Style/Form: Colonial Revival
Architect/Builder: Ernie Hall (local builder - related to first owner)
Foundation: brick/stone
Wall/Trim: wood and cedar shingles
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures barn, new garage
Major Alterations: upstairs porch 1969; new shingles and porch columns
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.164
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo