Andover Historic Preservation


103 DASCOMB RD103 dascomb rd (click to enlarge)

103 DASCOMB RD

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Georgian w/Greek Revival alterations

historical narrative

Owner - Arthur Wooten, Jr. (1965)

Themes: Architectural, Community Development

Tradition says site once belonged to A. Blanchard and at one time included 128 acres. First actual record of ownership of property was William Clark, who sold holdings and moved to Tewksbury, 1790's. Samuel Thompson bought, but Jacob French lived on the site, 1791. Thompson sold to French family (after 1795) and Peter French kept a store across street. Capt. George French owned.

1841: house and land sold to Joseph Battles of Lowell for $4250 by Charles French.
1843: Battles sold to Capt. Paul Pearson Pillsbury, farmer of Cow Island, New Hampshire, who moved to Andover that year. Pillsbury's wife and son died of typhoid fever and he married Sarah Stevens. House remained in Pillsbury family until 1926, when at death of George Pillsbury, estate sold to Albert and Walter Curtis (1927). Property included old French farm.
1930 Howell F. Shephard ownership until 1950, when Goddard bought.

1994 Awarded Certificate of Appreciation at Annual Preservation Awards.

bibliography/references

Dorman, Moses: Map of Andover, 1830
Poore, Alfred: "A Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass in the Year 1863" - Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol.50 -1914
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover, Mass. 1946
Andover Historical Society files

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 103 DASCOMB RD
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 103 dascomb rd
Historic Name: Pillsbury - French House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1790's
Source: AHS files and B. Goldsmith
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage; later porch around front and side
Major Alterations: restored 1946
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.25 acres
Setting: Corner of Osgood & Dascomb
MHC inventory number: ANV.167
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo