Andover Historic Preservation


125 DASCOMB RD125 dascomb rd (click to enlarge)

125 DASCOMB RD

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Greek Revival window trim and vestibule and doorway, good mouldings and chimney - may be First Period; beamed ceilings, three fireplaces. Original owner Jacob Johnson (1727-1808); boarding house for summer visitors, 1891.

historical narrative

Themes - Architectural, Community Development.

First recorded deed of property, 1711, when Thomas Johnson distributed estate to various members of his family. At the time of his marriage to Sarah Dolliver, 1758, Jacob Johnson built this house (third on the property). He was a blacksmith and had shop on property. Jacob left shop, barn and house to son, Osgood, also a blacksmith, valued about $670 (including 50 acres). Osgood I added south part of house - 1800. He died 1803 and his son Osgood II inherited. He was an 1823 graduate of Phillips Academy, graduate of Dartmouth and became headmaster of Phillips Academy. He deeded to his brother-in-law, Jacob Dascomb, from Wilton, NH, 4th deacon of West Parish, 1832 (quit-claim deed). Jacob suffered financial losses, sold to H.W. French, 1851.

Samuel Hyder, Jacob Dascomb's father-in-law by his second marriage to Widow Parthenia Wilder. Hyder took mortgage on place and in 1856, title to it. When Hyder died in 1874, property partitioned off to 3 daughters of Parthenia's Wilder's first marriage. Remainder of estate sold to Joseph and Martha Batchelder for $2,500. After his death, son hanged self in barn and in 1891, Martha Batchelder sold to a sea captain, Llewellyn Murch and his wife Ada. Capt. Murch built piazza (1905) across front, with L lattice-work for summer boarders; put ship-weathervane on barn. 1904, Etta Higgins bought from widow Ada Murch, but her husband died and in 1905, she sold to Albert F. and Walter Curtis of Medford. They added cowbarn, removed piazza from front end of house, took off sidedoor. East ell of barn added 1908.

In 1915 farm divided between Curtis brothers and Albert built new house across street. House was renovated 1920 and 1933/34 by Curtis. 1941 he increased length of north ell 30 feet, added West ell. Greenhouse had been added, 1938. Curtis owned until 1947. House then sold to Robert D. Mayo. Frederick Mundy Jr. and Nancy V. Mundy owned. Sold to Mr. and Mrs. A.W. George, 1970.
1997 preservation award.
Formerly owned by Arcal and Tamsen George (1977).
Present owners: Maria and Stephen Crockett.

bibliography/references

Goldsmith, Bessie; Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
Andover Historical Society files
Noyes, Kay; "Dascomb House had Many Owners" - Andover Townsman, Jan. 12, 1956
Fuess, Claude; "An Old New England School" History of Phillips Academy (Osgood Johnson)
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863" - Essex Institute Historical Collection; vol. 50

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 125 DASCOMB RD
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 125 dascomb rd
Historic Name: Dascomb, Jacob House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence with blacksmith shop
Date of Construction: 1758
Source: Bessie Goldsmith
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Large barn; small stable
Major Alterations: south part added 1800 ell lengthened 1941
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.27 acres; 366 feet approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.168
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo