Andover Historic Preservation


17 BARNARD ST

historical narrative

Themes: architectural, community development, education.

This was originally a Phillips Academy dormitory and faculty house. In 1880's it was purchased by Jacob Barnard (died 1899) and moved to corner of Main and Barnard, presumably for commercial use. Stood where "Barnard Brick Block" is now. This was built about 1890 and at that time, house was moved down Barnard Street (Barnard Court then) as a rental property owned by Barnard family, (and eventually handed down to Patricia Barnard Lally and husband, Richard Lally). Fred Cheever was born here.

Andover Townsman: 50 years ago - August 1927

"Barnard Street, once a mere alley, has almost the appearance of a boulevard as a sidewalk has been built next to the town hall and the street construction well underway. It is the plan of the police department to have diagonal parking on the street to allow cars to be parked."

Present owner: Richard Lally (1975-77)

1992---Andover Livery Co.
1983---Residences
1943---Residences
1930--- Residence, Abbot Bros. Shoe Manufacturer
1930---Residences
1926---Residences
1906---Residences
1896---Residences
1884---Residences
1872---Not listed
1852---Not listed

bibliography/references

Interview with present owner, July, 1977

Town of Andover, Mass.: Real estate valuation, 1990
J. W. Barnard owner, Listed as " Shedd House "

Directories: 1953, 1943, 1932, 1926.
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 17 BARNARD ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 17 barnard st
Historic Name: Phillips Academy Dormitory and Faculty Residence
Present Use: dwelling & apartments
Original Use: dormitory/faculty residence
Date of Construction: 1810-20
Source: style-njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: aluminum siding & clap boards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: remodeled twice, once in 1880's and again in 1890's renovated to apartments in 1971/72
Condition:
Moved: 1880's
Demolished:
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.68
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo