Andover Historic Preservation


72 CENTRAL ST72 central st (click to enlarge)

72 CENTRAL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA
Georgian/Federal style
Hip roof; pediment over door; 6/6 windows; 8 fireplaces

historical narrative

Original owner: Daniel Poor

Other owners: Abbot, John Radford (3-7-49); Abbot, Louise and David

Themes: architectural, community development

Built 1790 by Daniel Abbot on land originally belonging to George Abbot, who came from England to Andover in 1643. The first year Andover Theological Seminary opened, 1808, before the Commons were completed, Adoniram Judson, who was to become first missionary sent by American Board of Foreign Missions, boarded here, as did Squire Samuel Ferrar. Rebekah Chickering, who taught history and literature at Abbot Academy, boarded here, as did her sister, Helen, also on the Abbot faculty. J. Radford Abbot, present occupand and owner (1977), is an architect, and has restored the house (in 1920's).

1994 update: Only Abbot house which has been continually remained in their ownership. Built by Daniel through joining Abbot ??? Lands???adjacent Poor family lot. Daniel was the son of Ezra Abbot and Hannah Poor Abbot. Daniel Poor Rev. War vet.
1994 awarded Certificate of Appreciation for Preservation.
Later Ezra Abbot and his wife Margaret kept boarders (Caroline Abbot's father); Lydia ??? And her children; Miss Phillips boarded there ??, broke the ceiling! Miss Chickering now lives there.

bibliography/references

Directory of Andover, 1901
Andover Advertiser, Nov. 5, 1853, p.2
Andover Historical Society files

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 72 CENTRAL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Central Street NRH District
Address: 72 central st
Historic Name: Abbot, Daniel House
Present Use: residential
Original Use: residential
Date of Construction: circa 1790
Source: AHS files, style-njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: field stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: asphalt shingle
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures front and rear garages
Major Alterations: glass vestibule at front entrance (not extant in 1999)
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 1.15 acres (2.24 acres before subdivision in 1998; Central frontage 189', Phillips frontage 325')
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.122
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo