Andover Historic Preservation


35-37 ELM ST35-37 elm st (click to enlarge)

35-37 ELM ST

architectural description

Original double house built as such in 1790's; double entrance removed early 19th cent. Three fireplaces, 1 1/2 story cape

historical narrative

Present owner Richard and June Grant (1974)
Original owner Capt. Benjamin Ames
2. Amy Marietta Battles 8-28-47
1. fr, Mary W. Burtt

Themes: Architectural, Community Development, Military

One entrance each side; originally built as double house. Nathan Parker owned in 1773. Once also known as Ballard Pasture. Entire length of Elm Street was land granted originally to Nathan Parker, who resided in North Parish of Andover. This is believed to be homestead of Capt. Benjamin Ames who led company of South Parish men to Bunker Hill and the Revolutionary War. He moved to Andover from Lexington, and was the only Ames in Andover at the time.
Hannah Burtt was taxed for property at 35 Elm in 1900, with house shed, and barn.

bibliography/references

Bailey, Sarah Loring: Historical Sketches of Andover - 1880, Andover Historical Society
Harris, Edward M.: Andover in the American Revolution: A New England Town in a period of Crisis, 1763-1790"; 1976
Town of Andover, Real Estate Valuation, 1900

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 35-37 ELM ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 35-37 elm st
Historic Name: Ames, Capt. Benjamin Double House
Present Use: residence - two family
Original Use: double house and blacksmith shop at rear
Date of Construction: 1777
Source: owner's title search/style - njs
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: Clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: Raised in 19th cent. c.1830's Front double entry removed 1912 Storage building moved
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished: yes, 1986
Acreage: 17,500 sq. ft., 85 ft approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.174
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo