Andover Historic Preservation


228 ANDOVER ST228 andover st (click to enlarge)

228 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA LHD

Great over-scaled detailing; dramatic site; 2 interior chimneys; wings and ell; Victoria porches; side entrances w/double doors

historical narrative

Survey form revised by B. Thibault 1987 AHS

Original owner: John Marland

Themes: Architectural, Commerce, Community Development

This was the residence of John Marland, proprietor of Ballardvale Mills. He designed this country "mansion house" to his own liking and according to the taste of his times, and spared no expense.

Bradlee was connected with Ballardvale Mills from its founding as a textile plant; associated first with John Marland as mill's treasurer, 1842. After 1866, Bradlee was sole proprietor and there "he made the finest flannels in the world." At Philadelphia Centennial, 1876 - Ballardvale products took prize for "perfection in fabric."

Capt. J.P. Bradlee did much to develop Ballardvale. He opened an amusement center, where concerts and other events were held (Bradlee Hall). He opened his personal library, 1878, as Vale's first public library. Local school was named for him.

When Capt. Bradlee died in 1887, in Boston, he left over one million dollars, and estate, presumably including his country mansion, to N.J. Bradlee, his sister, but she died following year. Jones, Strong and Hodgkins took over estate and Ballardvale Mills.

***1856 map: John Ellis lived in the Marland house in the Vale, later left for Boston (Charlotte Helen Abbott genealogy)
1866: Josiah Putnam Bradlee owned it but lived in Boston and often had employees or visitors staying in the Marland House.
1872: George and Elizabeth Riley and 5 children occupied house
1884: James Shaw, superintendent of the mill
1917-19: Mr. Hodgkins

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Andover Advertiser - Dec. 15, 1855
Business History of Andover - Souvenir No. of Andover Townsman, 250th Anniversary, 1896
Obituary: Josiah Putnam Bradlee - Boston Weekly Transcript, Feb. 8, 1997
Bailey, Sarah Loring; Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880, p. 532, 594
See also Ballardvale Mills

National Register of Historic Places

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 228 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 228 andover st
Historic Name: Marland - Bradlee House/ The Mansion House
Present Use: apartments
Original Use: mansion house of mill-owner
Date of Construction: 1843-1848; (1836)
Source: style - njs; Andover Historical society, Alfred Poore
Style/Form: Italianate
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: flush boarding & clapboard
Roof: hip - Asphalt shingles
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: Into apartments; A symetrical fašade probably indicates additions of architect to current style (features accordingly) House was burned in 1842 - rebuilt in 6 weeks and 3rd floor added. After 1854 an addition. House was restored in 1955.
Condition: good (1996)
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting: A dramatic setting ??? The house - at top of hill. Rural setting. Large parking lot for tenants. A beautiful mansion.
MHC inventory number: ANV.38
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic Distrioc commition)
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77; Jan 1996

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo