Andover Historic Preservation


214 ANDOVER ST214 andover st (click to enlarge)

214 ANDOVER ST

architectural description

Coved cornice, 2nd Empire dormers, projecting stair tower on south side

historical narrative

Original owners - Daniel Poor, Jr. & Abel Blanchard

Original use - woolen mill; flannel production (1846); Rubber Company (1944)

Themes: architectural, community development, industry

In Feb. 1836, Daniel Poor, Jr. and Abel Blanchard bought site from Judge Rogers, who was settling estate of Timothy Ballard (who had saw and grist mill here from 1794) and laid foundation of half of present brick mill for a paper mill. Decided instead on cotton and woolen goods and Ballardvale Co. formed with Poor, Blanchard joining John Marland and Abraham Gould in their cotton-woolen production here.

This building had 10 different departments or rooms.

Bradlee Mills Co. sold 1944. Purchased by Shawsheen Rubber Co. from Wool Warehouse Corp. of Boston. They repaired building; reclapboarded; added office on front; removed east wing.

Craighead - Kintz also tenanted; manufactured lamps.

bibliography/references

See also Form A - Area Survey - Ballardvale Mills
Lawrence Eagle Tribune: 10-13-44
Business History of Andover: Anniversary Souvenir No. of the Andover Townsman, May 20, 1896, p. 12-15
Molley, Peter; Lower Merrimack River Valley: Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites - sponsored by MVTM and Historic American Engineering Record (Washington National Park Service, 1976)

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 214 ANDOVER ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 214 andover st
Historic Name: Ballardvalle Mills
Present Use: Shawsheen Rubber Co. (1975-77)
Original Use: industrial - woolen mill
Date of Construction: 1844
Source: No. Andover Hist. Soc. files; style - njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: asbestos shingles over brick
Roof: slate
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: Renovated 1944: removed east wing - now offfice; added front
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo