Andover Historic Preservation


architectural description

Clerestory; 2 interior chimneys; 3 stories; wings and ells; 2 porches; asymmetrical fašade; side entrance with double doors; Victorian porches; regularly spaced, varied windows (bow windows, 6/12, etc.); corner quoins; informal garden

historical narrative

Proximity to Ballardvale Mills

Later owned by Capt. J. Putnam Bradlee (1866)

Structure significant to Commonwealth

Themes: industry, development of town

House was built for John & Lucretia Darr Marland (1836). When Jasial (SP?) Putnam Bradlee acquired Marland's properties and Ballardvale Mille he owned the house (1866). Mr. Bradlee never lived in the house - he always resided in Boston. Was named "Mansion House" after C. Lamson Giles converted the house into an apartment house in the 1950's. (B.H.)

See Form A for history.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 000 ANDOVER ST
Place: Ballardvale
Historic District: Ballardvale Local Historic District
Address: 000 andover st
Historic Name: John Marland House/The Mansion House
Present Use: apartments (date?)
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1870 (?)
Source: Business History of Andover
Style/Form: Italianate
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboard & flush boarding
Roof: hip
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Acreage: 20 ft. from street; 200 ft. frontage
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: French & Roversi

other historic buildings

Andover Preservation Commission logo
Andover Historical Society logo
Memorial Hall Library logo