Andover Historic Preservation


33 HIGH ST33 high st (click to enlarge)

33 HIGH ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Greek Revival roof (?); balustrade later addition; flat and hip roof; 3 fireplaces

historical narrative

Present owner: Paul & Edith King (1974)

Original owner: Dr. Abiel Pearson

School during Hannah Abbot Harding ownership, 1915 - 1920's (?)

Themes: architectural; community development

Historical significance: Built by Dr. Abiel Pearson of Byfield, at site of Benjamin Punchard House, Elm Square. Pearson was uncle of first principal of Phillips Academy. Legend that George Washington passed Pearson's house and remarked on its "dignity". "Pleased fine houses were being erected in New England now -- fine as the mansions of the south." Erected same year as Jonathan Swift House, probably by same architect -- similarity of exterior décor and interior finish.

House has two front entrances -- latter probably built when street cut through. High Street originally Jug Lane. April 14, 1829, John Marland sold to Benjamin Punchard for $2500 (David Pearson, son of builder of house, also owned). Punchard owned land to High Street (purchased from Daniel Saunders for $300). Punchard moved house to present site to build a larger, more modern mansion at Elm Square.

In Punchard's will, property left to American Bible Society, then occupied by Mrs. Dolloff, a German widow, and James Frye, as it had been made into a double house at the time it was moved to High St. Mrs. Punchard left house to Missionary Society at her death, from whom Hannah Abbot Harding bought. She kept a school here. John Harding, son of a Loyalist emigrant of same name was owner, 1852 - 1900. He was a merchant with a store under the Baptist Church. Harding Street named for him. Hannah Harding died 1934; inherited by her children, John Houghson Flint and Clara Flint Reed. Remained in Flint family until 1947 then Clara Reed bought brother's share and sold to Geoffrey and Eva Cross Glendining, who restored, repaired it, after fire damage, Nov. 28, 1947. Glendinning sold to Francis and Anna Eldridge 2/16/68.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files (including deeds -- April 18, 1829)
Abbot, Abiel; History of Andover from Settlement to 1829. Flagg-Gould, 1829, p.11
Goldsmith, Bessie; Townswoman's Andover, 1967, p.83
Map of Andover, 1852

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 33 HIGH ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 33 high st
Historic Name: Pearson, Dr. Abiel House
Present Use: residence - 2 family
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1795
Source:
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder: probably same builder as 23 Central Street
Foundation:
Wall/Trim:
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage
Major Alterations: 1829: made into double house 1947: restorations 1967: barn razed
Condition:
Moved: 1829
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 35,840 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 140'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.243
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo