Andover Historic Preservation


73 HIGHLAND RD

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

historical narrative

Owner: William A. McCartney, John E. McCartney, 1950

This was the "old commons", first boarding house and dining hall for Phillips Academy students.
Only one of original "Latin Commons" buildings of Phillips moved down here from main campus.

Themes: architectural; community development; religion

From Fuess book:
p. 131--1809 funds to erect Commons dormitories
p. 229--1834 5 Academic Halls . . . were completed in their location on the north side of Phillips Street . . .row of "Latin Commons" approx. $1500 apiece and a (1836) row of teachers halls or English Commons
p. 230--"clapboarded, wooden structures; 3 stones high, painted a rusty yellow, with small windows and a wide door in the middle of the street side." Interior: on each floor 2 suites; composed of a study and 2 bedrooms . . . "
12 occupants. Floors connected by narrow, winding staircases . . . heated by stones . . . rent $1 a term. In 1856 raised to $3 a term.
p. 508--1903-06 with the erection of the Archaeology building, the Latin Commons were torn down and by 1906 the English dormitories had been sold and the last one had been moved on rollers across the old campus to a new location where it was to be used as a tenement.

From Allis book:
p. 359--"one exists to this day on Highland Road, though so completely remodeled as to bear little resemblance to its original form"

bibliography/references

Fuess, Claude: Old New England School: History of Phillips Academy, 1917
Allis, Frederick, Jr. Youth from Every Quarter, 1979

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 73 HIGHLAND RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 73 highland rd
Historic Name: Phillips Academy Boarding House and Dining Room
Present Use: dwelling, 4 apartments
Original Use:
Date of Construction: early 19th century
Source: style-njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: brick
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished: yes, 11/1988
Acreage: less than one acre; 17,020 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 90'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.267
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo