Andover Historic Preservation


60 ELM ST60 elm st (click to enlarge)

60 ELM ST

architectural description

Posts of granite fence across front: interesting door surrounds porch like Merrill House - #36 High Street

historical narrative

Present owner Dow, Richard and Chrysse (1976). Themes - Archetectural and Community development.
Originally this was a story and a half cottage connected by a shed to the barn. Later 2 1/2 stories were added in front with Greek Revival windows and a piazza around two sides. The old story and half ell was torn down 1894/95. Barn had a long carpenter's shop and was constructed with wooden pegs.
William Gleason Goldsmith bought this from John Flint, 1874 when he was principal of Punchard School. He was also first President of the Andover Villiage Improvement Society and teacher briefly at Phillips Academy as well as interim head master. His daughter, Bessie, who grew up in this house and inherited it was a competent local historian, a teacher and served on the Andover Police Force.
The house was formerly owned by Fletcher; also by Ezra Valpey; and William Lemon, who was a Valpey cousin and later owned Wayside Inn, Sudbury and Glarence Gold.
House slightly damaged by fire March 3, 1952. Owners after Miss Goldsmith's death were: Phida Dantos(1970) Richard and Mary Dow.

bibliography/references

Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830
Andover Historical Society files: notes of Bessie Goldsmith, owner
Goldsmith, Bessie; Townsman's Andover, 1964, p.97-98
Lawrence Eagle Tribune; March 4, 1952 (fire in Home of policewoman)

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 60 ELM ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 60 elm st
Historic Name:
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: pre 1830
Source: Dorman map/style- njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Large barn at rear - cupola has corner plasters
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 37,100 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 167 ft.
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.180
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo