Andover Historic Preservation


134 ELM ST134 elm st (click to enlarge)

134 ELM ST

architectural description

overhang in one gable end, low posted (one end) maybe first period?, good Federal entry.

historical narrative

Present owner Hamblet, Theodore and Florence. Luke and Lynn Camarota (1993). Subsequent uses - dairy farm -1932, Braeland Farms. Themes, Architectural, Community Development, Social/Humanitarian.
Built by Dr. Nehemia Abbott (1717-1785) on old North Andove Road, on border of two parishes to serve both North and South Andover as doctor. Dr. Abbott moved to Chelmsford 1770. Deeded to Capt. John Lee from Salem, 1779.
Map 1852 - shows Hobert Clark resident. He was first president of Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance co. and projector of Andover and Wilmington Railroad. Known as "old Clark Place", he lived here for 40 years. Plato Eames farmed here (1872 map). Harry Eames, wool-sorter at Lawrence and member of Lawrence Fire Dept., returned Andover 1900 and lived with Plato Eames, who married his mother (a Valpey). In 1932, called Braeland Farms, a model dairy belonging to Smith P. Burton, Jr.. Summer of 1946, barn on property facing Elm Street was remodeled as residence by David Klein.

bibliography/references

Andover Townsman; April 13, 1888; May 15, 1903
Carpenter, Charles C. ; Scrapbood at Anover Historical Society 1887-1915, p. 30
Maps of Andover, 1852, 1872
Andover Historical Society files
Catalog of Loan Collection at Punchard Hall; 250th Anniversary of Andover, 1896, p.37

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 134 ELM ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 134 elm st
Historic Name: Abbott, Dr. Nehemiah - Lee, Capt. John House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: doctor's residence
Date of Construction: ca. 1748
Source: AHS files
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre, 24,537 sq. ft. , approximate frontage on Elm St. 223 ft., on Burton, 145 ft.
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.186
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77/1991

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo