Andover Historic Preservation


10 ESSEX ST10 essex st (click to enlarge)

10 ESSEX ST

architectural description

Greek Revival and Federal, gable detail in exceptional-typical Chickering Style

historical narrative

Nathaniel Swift original owner. Present owner - L. John Davison. Subsequent uses - meeting hall for GAR; Hiberian Society
Themes, Architectural, Commerce, Community development, recreation.
Large pretentious, 3-story building, faces east, with side on Essex Street. Nathaniel Swift was town treasurer, 1862-3, founder of store, dry goods, 1845, here. Building also used for public meetings, clubs as GAR and Hiberian Society. John L. Smith and Albert S. Manning established store. Smith and Manning grocers and dry goods , here 1865.
Seven different firms once did business under this roof; bankers, lawyers, various tradesman. Building was enlarged by grocery firm, presumeably in 1870's.
Essex St. developed 1820-1850's as response to growing industries of Andover. Like Brook St., it was a "way to the factories"
Anover Townsman, 1914, Oct. 23; mentions prayer meetings held in Swift's store.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Business History of Andover; Souvenir No. of Andover Townsman. 250th Anniversary. .1896, p. 30
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "A Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover in year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collection, vol. XLIX, 1913, July. P. 239-252
Andover Townsman; Sept. 9, 1976 and Oct. 23, 1914

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 10 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 10 essex st
Historic Name: Swift, Nathaniel Store
Present Use: apartments
Original Use: store
Date of Construction: 1832
Source: Charlotte Helen Abbot and Alfred Poore
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering builder
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: wood clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: formerly a store - altered into apartments. Had a cupola
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre, 8,990 sq. ft. 40 ft. approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.188
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo