Andover Historic Preservation


28 ESSEX ST28 essex st (click to enlarge)

28 ESSEX ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA, note window frames - site still good - same as 29 Essex Street

historical narrative

Present owner Walsh, George and Martha (1970).Later owners - 3. Walsh, George D. (family deed) 1969. 2. Estate of Walsh, Mary F. (1967). 1. Walsh, Mary F. 7/17/34. Original owner Jacob Chickering. Themes - Architectural and Community development.
Jacob Chickering was born 1806 in North Andover. At the age of 12, he moved to South Parish and apprenticed as a carpenter under Stephen Holt, partner of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier. For a number of years, he was self-employed as a builder and finally sold out to Abbot, Thompson and Wilson in 1850. About 1856, he started a factory to manufacture pianos (rental bill - 1857-58, for shop on Essex St. owned by John Marland and J.F. Cogswell). Later acquired repair shed from Boston and Maine railroad.
Chickering built this house before his marriage in 1835. It shows his usual careful attention to detailed workmanship; the wood trim over windows and decorative touches evident in his other projects (#29 Essex St., Baptist Church etc. ) After his marriage, he moved to 29 Essex St. And left this house to his parents.
Dr. Poore says, "schoolhouse moved to North Andover was on this site, and is now (1863) a recitation room in the rear of Phillips Academy ". Later it was known as the Mary Grosvenor House, who lived here with her brother James Grosvenor in the 1900's -taxed with barn and shed. Eventually was bought by the Walsh family, whose descendants still own it. (James jGrosvenor was ticket-seller at old railroad station on Essex St. )

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files (Chickering)
Chickering, Jacob; Miscellaneous Uncataloged bills, building estimates, receipts, 1834-1878; North Andover Historical Society
Interview with Lillian Conroy, 29 Essex Street
Andover Advertiser; July 24, 1858
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "A Genealogical-Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863" - Essex Institute Historical Collection, July 1913, p. 239-252
Andover Townsman, Sept. 9, 1976.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 28 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 28 essex st
Historic Name: Chickering, Jacob House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1835
Source: Dr. Alfred Poore and AHS files
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering builder
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: wood clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures barn now attached
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 12,590 sq. ft. with 89' approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.192
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo