Andover Historic Preservation


29 ESSEX ST29 essex st (click to enlarge)

29 ESSEX ST

architectural description

window frame same as #28 Essex St. flush-boarded gable;

historical narrative

present owner Miss Lillian Conroy 8/3/40. Themes - Architectural, Community development. Jacob Chickering, moved in November 1841. Jacob Chickering (1806-1887) was carpenter-builder in Andover. Known for his delicate detailing and careful exterior decorations in wood during a period of Greek Revival, he was assigned such important projects as Andover Baptist Church (1834) - "same year he dissolved partnership with Capt. N. Whittier".
In the 1850's, he gave up his building business, selling out to Abbott, Thompson and Wilson, to manufacture pianos. He built #29 Essex St. at the time of his marriage, 1853 and moved here with his new wife, 1841. It was his family home until his death. Later, some of his children, Emily Otis and Samuel lived here and it was Otis Chickering's home. Otis stays on here through 1909 but lost the house through poor management. It finally was bought by Dr. Conroy.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files - Chickering
Chickering, Jacob; Miscellaneous Uncatalogued bills, building estimates, receipts, 1834-1878. North Andover Historical Society.
Interview with present owner
Poore, Dr. Alfred; "A Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collection, vol. XLIX 1913, July - pp.239-252
Andover Townsman, Sept. 9, 1976

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 29 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 29 essex st
Historic Name: Chickering, Jacob House
Present Use: residence and apartments
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1835
Source: Andover Historical Society files, Poore, Dr. Alfred
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering
Foundation: brick/stone
Wall/Trim: Wood clapboards shingled
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures barn at rear
Major Alterations: remodeled for apartments
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 7,670 sq. ft. with 68' of approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.193
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo