Andover Historic Preservation


34 ESSEX ST34 essex st (click to enlarge)

34 ESSEX ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA
good wooden Gothic fence and attractive side yard; fence probably added later

historical narrative

Present owner Sullivan, Augustine and Mary 7/3/36. Original owner J.T. Abbot. Subsequent uses - Baptist parsonage. Themes - Architectural and Community development.
This charming Gothic cottage was built by Jacob Chickering for J.T. (John?) Abbot. Chickering bought parcel of land, (next door and across street from his own family residence) without house on it and sold to Abbot before 1850. Abbot taxed for house, 1850. Mrs. Betsy Abbot Est. 1900 with shed.
Another note in Chickering records and accounts, dated May 24, 1878; "10.07 building pick, fence for John Abbott"
Chickering noted for his love of architectural detail in his carpentry must have delighted in the attention he could pay to the Gothic Revival style. Note: sharp Gothic peaks, small window in attic front; gingerbread trim under eaves; dormer window in rear ell. The white Gothic fence shows different styles along front and back property lines. House supposedly used as Baptist rectory although Baptist church never owned it - probably rental
Florence N. Wilson, a later owner occupant.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Lillian Conroy, interview, 29 Essex St.
Jacob Chickering papers - North Andover Historical Society, Merrimack Valley Textile Musuem
Andover Townsman, Sept. 9, 1976
see Lawrence Eagle Tribune -Sunday drive #66 1/92

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 34 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 34 essex st
Historic Name: Abbot, Joseph Thompson House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1844-1850
Source: Miss Lillian Conroy-29 Essex St. /J.Chickering papers
Style/Form: Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering builder
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: wood clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: additions 1840-1875
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 16,700 sq. ft. and 90' approximate frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.194
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo