Andover Historic Preservation


43 ESSEX ST43 essex st (click to enlarge)

43 ESSEX ST

architectural description

Excellent example of intact roof balustrade

historical narrative

Present owner Parish of St. Augustine, St. Mary's Church Society (also original owner). Themes - Architectural, Community Development, and Religion.
First rectory for St. Augustine's priest, Rev. Michael F. Gallagher, 1866, stood at foot of Pearson Street, south side. Later moved to top of Pearson Street and in 1950, was tenement back of Fraser's filling station. This rectory stood where present church is 1879-1883. In 1903, present rectory built on spot where first wooden church has been burned. Architect probably same as for present church -(Victorian Gothic). In 1852, St. Augustine's Parish declared a mission from St. Mary's of Lawrence. 1866: established as independent parish.
Land originally aquired from M. Christopher Andrews who had house on site. William P. Reagan architect from Lawrence, plans for new parochial residence for St. Augustines.

bibliography/references

A.T. March 11, 1904 p. 8, col 4.
Andover Historical Society files
Cole, John; Glimpses of Andover, 1896
One Hundredth Anniversary: St. Augustine's Parish, Andover, Mass. 1892-1952. Lawrence
Saint Augustine's Parish, Andover, Mass. 1866-1966, 100th Anniversary, 1966

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 43 ESSEX ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 43 essex st
Historic Name: Saint Augustine Roman Catholic Church Rectory
Present Use: rectory
Original Use: rectory for St. Augustine's priest
Date of Construction: 1903-1907
Source: Andover Historical Society files
Style/Form: Georgian Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: brick
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: renovated 1950
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 30,960 sq. ft. with approximate frontage of 203'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.197
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo