Andover Historic Preservation


232 NORTH MAIN ST232 north main st (click to enlarge)

232 NORTH MAIN ST

architectural description

Symmetrical, Simple Façade. Front, Centered Entrance, lights beside door. Regular, Identical double hung (some old) windows. Plain corners. Nice spiral staircase. Some original woodwork

historical narrative

2 stories, 3 irregular chimneys, wings attached - half brick/half clapboard. Marland family prominent in early history of Andover - founding Marland Mill and also instrumental in helping to build Espicopal Church. Present owner John and Catherine Cahill. Original owner Marland, Parker Richardson.. Proximity to Shawsheen Plaza. Themes - Architectural, Commerce, Community development, and Industry. Built by Parker Richardson, sometime after 1828, when he purchased land. William Sykes Marland, second son of Abraham Marland purchased house - 1837 from Richardson. William Marland was a stockholder in his father's company, Marland Manufacturing Co. In 1844, William Marland sold to Nathan Frye, who sold to John Stimpson (probably to build a house at 166 N. Main St. ). George WW Dove owned in 1880 and he sold to Maurice Curran and John Joyce. Curran and Joyce were law partners who had offices here and both lived here with their families. Joyce and Curran also owned George WW Dove's home at 276 North Main Street. (now basis of Andover Housing for the Aged). 1872 - Joyce and Curran (1900 Real Estate Valuation - Curran and Joyce taxed for farmhouse and shed here)…also in 1902, Andover Townsman. 1941 - owned by Exchange Trust Company
Form A - It is claimed that Abraham Marland was the first to manufacture woolen satinets in America. He converted his cotton spinning plant, established in 1807, to wool in 1810. There he wove woolen blankets for the U.S. Army during the War of 1812. His first mill was a two story wooden building below the stone arched bridge at Abbot Village. This building was demolished about 1890. In 1820 with Peter C. Brooks he built a brick mill and a row of brick mill tenements on the Shawsheen River about half a mile downstream.
This was the site of an early eighteenth century iron works. Then later a grist mill and a powder mill. Buying out this partner, he built another brick building here in 1832. Mr. Marland was very successful and connected with many other ventures in Andover both civic and commercial. He was the founder of Christ Episcopal Church, and donor of the present Parish house. In 1879 M. T. Stevens and Sons of North andover bought the mill properties. They continued to run these as a woolen mill until

bibliography/references

Andover Townsman newspaper
Business History of Andover - the Andover Townsman 1896
Andover, Symbol of New England - Claude M. Fuess, Andover Historical Society 1959
Historical Sketches of Andover - Sarah L. Bailey, Houghton Mifflin and Co. 1880
Andover Historical Society
Merrimack Valley Textile Museum, North Andover, MA
Andover Townsman, June 6, 1963
Dorman Moses: Map of Andover 1830
Map of Andover, 1872, cites Joyce and Curran

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 232 NORTH MAIN ST
Place: Shawsheen Village
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 232 north main st
Historic Name: Richardson, Parker - Marland, William Sykes House
Present Use: 3 apartments
Original Use: private home
Date of Construction: early 19th century
Source: 1830 map of Andover/Dorman map
Style/Form: First Period
Architect/Builder: Gleason?
Foundation: fieldstone
Wall/Trim: painted white, Brick
Roof: hip
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: into apartments, extended in back
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre;30' from street with 130' frontage on street., 28,500 sq. ft.
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.397
Recorded by: Woodworth & Rizzo/Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 1968/1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo