Andover Historic Preservation


276 NORTH MAIN ST276 north main st (click to enlarge)

276 NORTH MAIN ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRIND NRMRA, irregular chimneys, lovely curved mahogany staircase, elaborate "gingerbread" and window carvings (added later)

historical narrative

Original owner - John Dove. Present owner Muriel Wood. 1991 - Cornelius and Rosalyn Wood. Themes - Architectural and Community Development. ** Remodeling by John Tucci and Son Construction Company.
May, 1991 Andover Preservation Award
John Dove was a machinist from Brechin, Scotland, who came to Andover in 1833. After a trip back to Scotland 1834/35, he procured plans for machinery for his flax mill which he built 1836 at Frye Village, in partnership with Peter and John Smith whom he'd known in Scotland. They later moved their mills to Abbott Village.
Bill of Jacob Chickering collection (MTVM) reads; "Mr. J. Dove to J.Chickering to cash paid P.L. Blombon and I. Voelker - acc. Of extra work on house, including enlarging of shed at barn; Paid Ettingwood for windows and bulk head stone $12.00; enlarging for bedroom in shed-water closet $25. For building house and barn on contract - $7754.00 - TOTAL - $8566.65." Gothic revival in Chickering's style and his love of detail is evident, but elaborate gingerbread carving was probably a later addition. This enormous mansion has been extensively altered. There is a lovely carved mahagany staircase.
William Madison Wood bought house from Doves and added and changed it. Wood lived here 20 years before building Shawsheen Village model community for employees of American Woolen Co. Cornelius Wood inherited 1926. March 30, 1894: *Dove offered property for sale " 20 rooms, 2 bathrooms, cemented cellar, stable, double tenement house, 2 large barns, 50 acres". This is likely when William Wood, manager at mills in Lawrence, bought "Arden". Maurice Curran, lawyer, bought adjoining property of George Dove and his partner, John Joyce - also lived on property (see also 232 No. Main ) with their families in house built by John Dove for his son, George W.W. Dove*
This is "old Curran estate remodelled 1976 into elderly apartment complex. Old barn is now community center, with kitchen, medical room, laundry, office. Shingled exterior retained - supporting beams left exposed, stone foundation.

bibliography/references

Andover/No. Andover Historical Society files
Fuess, Claude; Andover Symbol of New England, 1959 (on J. Dove & Wm. Wood)
Andover Advertiser, Nov. 24, 1876 (obituary of John Dove)
Chickering, Jacob; Miscellaneous Notes, Records -North Andover Historical Society at Merrimack Valley Textile Musuem.
Wright, George: A Sermon in Memory of John Dove, Nov.26, 1876/Andover:
McPherson, John B. "William Madison Wood - A Career of Romance and Achievement" Bulletin of National Association of Wool Manufacturers, vol. LVI No. 2, April 1926 p. 245-257
Andover Townsman; March 30, 1894; Feb. 5, 1976

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 276 NORTH MAIN ST
Place: Shawsheen Village
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 276 north main st
Historic Name: Arden
Present Use: residence/vacant
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1847 (other forms say 1791)
Source: Bills - Chickering - Dove
Style/Form: Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering & others as Theodore Voelokers of Boston
Foundation: granite
Wall/Trim: flush boarding
Roof: ridge with cupola & dormer windows
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures gothic greenhouse and large shed Stable designed by Bullfinch and a millpond with shingled Building uses originally by Mr. Poor as a carriage factory about 1800
Major Alterations: extensively 1900-1910 by W.Wood
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 63.7 acres; 303' frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.400
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo