Andover Historic Preservation


7 HEARTHSTONE PL7 hearthstone pl (click to enlarge)

7 HEARTHSTONE PL

architectural description

NRIND NRTRA
First period Georgian. Classic example of early salt-box; quarter round bead on summers and posts in earlier hall; restored interior sheathing and large fireplaces. Central door, 6/9 windows.

historical narrative

Original address-62 Osgood Street

Owner Mrs. Glen Grant (1989)
Change of address to 7 Hearthstone Place.
1987 nominated to NRHP under a thematic nomination of First Period houses in Essex county by Boston University AMNES.

Themes Agricultural, Architectural and Community Development.

Original owner Thomas Blanchard, born 1674 (third son of Samuel, who owned extensive property in West Parish, and Hannah Blanchard). Thomas was given this property at time of his marriage to Rose Holmes, 1699, probably at same time they (his parents?) gave land at 116 Osgood St. to his sister, Hannah, who married Stephen Osgood the same spring. Original houses much alike, though 116 more pretentious, as young Osgood received additional inheritance from his late father. Both had central chimney, 30' foot square at base, and basic square form of first period architecture. Extensive additions and alterations make present house closer to Benjamin Abbot House than to sister's house at 116 Osgood Rd.

This house, located on "Old County Road", or original stage road to Tewksbury. Today it is "off the beaten path" but old houses were built on the roads and usually faced south. The Upton House has only room in Andover completely sheathed in pine on all four sides. House likely began as two rooms, one downstairs to right of entrance and chimney and one above. (This is West side and thus, oldest section). As family grew, house was extended to other side, upstairs and down. The salt-box section with the wood shed was the third part built. It is the front portion of West - the oldest section that contains "Indian Walls" - brick barrier between the inner and outer sheathing used as defense in early Colonial days. The old kitchen room, which now serves as a living room, has a 12' mantle which marks the site of the original fireplace. Two massive 10' wide fireplaces remain. There is an old stairway built against the wall of the chimney without props in a spiral construction.

Thomas Blanchard was a cordwainer or shoemaker; had 3 wives, 12 children. The old shoeshop located across the road from the house was built by one of his grandsons, who was also a shoemaker. Thomas left house to his 4th son, Josiah, yeoman, who lived here 1740-1765, then moved to Wilton, NH. Josiah Jr. inherited. His widow Lydia Jenkins inherited use of east end of house and carefully marked boundary of land which cut property into a third share. Rest of 2/3 of property and house sold to Abiel and Molly Jenkins Upton, Lydia's niece. This house was in Blanchard family for three generations, then sold to Abiel Upton in 1792; Indians attacked during his time and Upton family supposedly scalped. Uptons were also cobblers and shop still stands on property with some wooden benches and lasts intact. Upton descendants lived here until 1931, except for brief ownership of Samuel Jenkins (a nephew) 1820-1842. (Present owner doubts that Jenkins and wife, Lydia Damon ever lived here, as they owned much land elsewhere, including Holt's Hill).

Abiel Upton's eldest son bought back the house in 1842. He removed from south to West parish church, 1839. His brother, Edward, bought back the land split off from the original property upon which the Alexander Winning House had been subsequently built, so that the entire property was reunited as one piece and all back in the Upton family. A. Augustus Upton, George's son, inherited. He was also a shoemaker, never married, died 1921. At this time presumably, the more valuable furniture was sold and placed in the Wayside Inn. The sea-horse weather vane was not sold and remains. Eban Goodrich held the property a few years and George William Baker of Maple Ave. sold to Glen and Jane Grant, Feb. 1, 1940.

Bessie Goldsmith, 1940, referred to it as "The Fred Harrington Farm" Osgood St. - noting that the house, two barns and 48 acres had been sold to Glen Grant - " an example of an old house unspoiled by restoration.
1987 Walter Baker, now on Baker Lane was a former occupant. Phillips Academy Peabody Archaelogy Bulletin, date unknown, sites mounds on this property.
1998 preservation award for sympathetic addition
1997-98 owners Mr. and Mrs. Richard Michalik used architect Alfred DiBiasco, Groveland and builder Jim Dole, Groveland.

Cobbler's shop (used by both Blanchard and Upton), craft-wood products by Glen Grant in 1940's. Dismantled in 1988. See photos in AHS files under business: shoemaker.

bibliography/references

Owners records (Mr. and Mrs. Glen Grant)
Andover Historical Society records
Bailey, Sarah Loring: Historical Sketches of Andove; 1880
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover: 1946
Andover Advertiser: Nov. 19,, 1853 p. 2
Greven, Philip J. Jr. : Four Generations: Population, Land and Family in Colonial Andover, MA, Cornell University Press, 1970

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 7 HEARTHSTONE PL
Place:
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 7 hearthstone pl
Historic Name: Blanchard - Upton House
Present Use: residence & working farm
Original Use: farmhouse
Date of Construction: 1699
Source: Owner's records/AHS
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Two large barns (c.1800), shoemaking shop (c.1860) over original barn
Major Alterations: Remodeled by Grant in 1940's - new floors, barn restored. Original barn razed 1988; shoemaking shop dismantled.
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 4.75 acres
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.420
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo