Andover Historic Preservation


62R OSGOOD ST

architectural description

Exterior Main block 10'4" x 12'3", including lean to 18'6" x 10', 8 high

historical narrative

Mr. Grant present owner
1 story 19th c. shoe or cobbler shop; gable roof, end lean to with shed roof
interior: 1975-77 it had some wooden benches and lasts intact. One of three remaining outbuildings for a circa 1700 farmstead. Osgood Road was originally main route to Tewksbury.
Thomas Blanchard (1674-1759) was a cordwainer or shoemaker. Shop thought to be built by a grandso. Blanchard family sold to Abiel Upton (1755-1831) in 1792. Uptons were also cobblers. Typical shoe shop of a now rare type that was once common in rural farms.
Director of Preservation studies Boston University, Richard Candel, 12/86, visual analysis. AHS of records that Mr. and Mrs. Glen Grant, 1946 to the present, owners, restored the cobbler's shop. Contents of shop operated by Abiel Augustus Upton, died 1921 were purchased by an agent for Henry Ford

bibliography/references

See also Barn survey.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 62R OSGOOD ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 62r osgood st
Historic Name: Cobbler's Shop
Present Use: dismantled 1988
Original Use: cobbler shop
Date of Construction: 1699
Source: see 62 Osgood Street
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: grandson of Thomas Blanchard
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures This is one of four outbuildings located on the property of 62 Osgood St.
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved: to be sold by contractor Mark Phillips, Rowley, MA
Demolished:
Acreage:
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Barbara Thibault
Organization: Andover Historical Society
Date: 10/87

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo