Andover Historic Preservation


116 OSGOOD ST116 osgood st (click to enlarge)

116 OSGOOD ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA, 2 stories; hip and gable roofs; asymmetrical 4-bay fašade; squat 8/12 and 12/12 windows, approx. center doorway is pedimented; rear ell

historical narrative

present owner Thomas O. Jones and Betty Mobbs (MR, 1982)
Original owner Stephen Osgood. Used as a tavern 1853-1863.
No. 116 Osgood St. is traditionally dated from 1699, the year Stephen Osgood's marriage to Hannah Blanchard, uniting two very prominent West Andover families. The house was built on part of the extensive landholdings of Hannah's father, Samuel Blanchard, whose property stretched between Lovejoy Road and Tewksbury from Blanchard's (now Hagget's) Pond to Dascomb Rd. Hannah's brother Thomas lived just east of his sister at what is now 62 Osgood St.
No. 116 was inherited by the Osgoods' second son, Isaac - captain in the French and Indian War who is said to have always worn a wig to emphasize his position in this simple farming community. Isaac's fourth son, Jacob, inherited the property and was a wealthy and highly respected farmer. He served in Nicholas Holt's company during the Revolutionary War and was friend and host to James Otis, the patriot lawyer and orator. Otis spent nearly two years at the Osgood farm recuperating form a head injury and was killed here by lightening in 1783. Osgoods occupied the house until 1849; of the following owners the most historically significant has been Wadley Noyes, who kept an inn and tavern here from 1853-1863.
The awkwardly composed design reflects its centuries of architectural growth. The original building consisted of four rooms built around a central chimney; Isaac Osgood is thought to have added the eastern part of the house (making its L shape) and the northeast corner wing. The pretentiousness of this status-conscious owner is reflected in the buildings dignified window cornices-uncommon in Andover-fine pedimented doorway, large windows, and hipped roof..
Themes - Architectural and Community development

bibliography/references

Historic Houses in Andover MA, comp. for the Tercentenary Celebration, 1946

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 116 OSGOOD ST
Place:
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 116 osgood st
Historic Name: Osgood, Stephen House and Farm
Present Use: residential
Original Use: residential/tavern
Date of Construction: c. 1700
Source: AHS; Historic Houses in Andover
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboard
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures shed
Major Alterations: side addition 18th cent. Doorway ca. 1925
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 8.96 acres; 460' frontage, 30' from street
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.422
Recorded by: W. Frontiero
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 8/7/80

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo