Andover Historic Preservation


15-17 PORTER RD15-17 porter rd (click to enlarge)

15-17 PORTER RD

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

historical narrative

Built in two parts for two brothers. Original owners Asa and Sylvester Abbot - brothers. Timothy Abbot-Bailey House. Themes: Argricultural, Architectural and Community Development.
Porter Street was formerly South Street. 1891 -"name of street from westerly end of Highland Road and easterly end of Boston St., changed from Beck Street to Porter St. " (Bessie Goldsmith, Townsman's Andover p. 91-91)
Third and present double house built by Asa and Sylvester Abbot of 7th generation- was homestead of Timothy Abbot, who was captured by Indians, 1676. Old well on land now covered, was place where a later Timothy Abbot drowned in 1777. Samuel Henry Bailey took over farm in 1890. July 1946, Ralph Bailey sold land south side of Porter road. C. Madeleine Hewes and Mrs. Roderick Cannon and Ralph Bailey owners in 1946. C. Madeleine Hewes in 1962. Following Quote from: Poore, Alfred "A Genealogical-Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass. In the year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collections., Vol. 48, 1912
"Asa A. and Sylvester Abbot own and occupy the homestead of 155 acres, and since their barn which stood on the opposite side of the street was burned June 21, 1855, each has built a barn of uniform design. In the old barn was stored large collection of old furniture, as well as very old papers and books, taken from the old house, all of which were burned. The present house was built on site of old one that stood about 80 years, having been built by Asa Abbot, of the 4th generation from George, emigrant, when Timothy was 9 years old, about 1754. Original house stood on opposite side of street about 6 rods SW"
Present owner of 15 - Helen F. Cannon and of 17 Gordon Cannon
1980 National Register Nomination

bibliography/references

Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses in Andover, Mass. 1946
Abbot, Abiel: History of Andover from Its Settlement to 1829 Flagg and Gould 1829, p. 42-45
Abbott, Charlotte H. : Historical Andover" nos. 49,57,58,141
Abbot Register: 1847
Andover: vital records to 1850
Carpenter, Charles C. : Auld Lang Syne scrapbook, vol. 11 129
Andover Historical files
Andover Advertiser June 27, 1863

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 15-17 PORTER RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 15-17 porter rd
Historic Name: Abbott, Asa Albert and Sylvester Double House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: farm, double residence
Date of Construction: 1839 third house on site
Source: Goldsmith, style njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.441
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo