Andover Historic Preservation


37 PORTER RD37 porter rd (click to enlarge)

37 PORTER RD

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA, chimney looks very early

historical narrative

Present owner Mervyn and Elizabeth Manning 8/22/60
Original owner Joseph Ballard. Subsequent uses - school for boys (John Hart Manning) 1916-?
Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community Development and Education.
Plaque over doorway gives date 1758. Main part of exterior is original. Joseph Ballard, brother of Timothy (who had mill at Ballardvale and for whom Ballardvale is named) built this house for himself and his widowed mother on 48 acres. Thomas Manning, shoemaker from Billerica bought about time of marriage to Menitable Kidder. He turned old blacksmith shop on property (now razed) into shoeshop. He became farmer in later years, owned 80 acres plus original 48. An older house was located 40 rods west, which was moved to form ell of present house but in 1842 this was taken away and a new ell built. Barn came with 1758 house purchase and this was enlarged 1850-51. Thomas Manning's grandson, John H. Manning was owner in 1860's. Others who occupied part of house were: Horace Lewis from New Hampshire 1852-54: John W. Haley, Andover Seminary student, 1861; Charles Casey Sterbuck, former ATS instructor in sacred literature lived here in 1883 with his family, while devoting himself to writing.
Manning School 1916? Room on south side of house used as private school room for boys under teacher John Hart Manning
1913 - interior restored by John Hart Manning- retaining panelling and old fireplaces, wide floorboards of original.
1935 owners - Mervyn M. Manning Jr. and Anne McKeon
1960 Mervyn Manning Jr.
June 1990 Andover Preservation Award

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover, Mass. 1946.
Poore, Alfred: A Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover Mass. In the year 1863", Essex Institute Historical Collections, Salem, Vol. 48. , 1912
History of Andover Theological Seminary 1809-1908 p. 19
Andover Advertiser: July 11, 1863

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 37 PORTER RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Individual National Register Listing
Address: 37 porter rd
Historic Name: Manning, Thomas House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence and farm
Date of Construction: 1758
Source: date on house, njs style
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: gable/gambrel roof
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage
Major Alterations: interior restored 1913 new ell 1842 no-pool remodeled 1968
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre, 176 frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.443
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo