Andover Historic Preservation


35 CHANDLER RD35 chandler rd (click to enlarge)

35 CHANDLER RD

architectural description

1 1/2 stories, center doorway, high fašade

historical narrative

Original owner: John Tuck
Owner: Michael & Joan Patrakis (1980)

Theme: community development

John Tuck, the original owner of this property, was born in Beverly, MA in 1792. He was adopted by his great-aunt Hannah (Dodge) Trow and her husband John Trow, who moved to Andover in the late 18th century. Tuck married Elizabeth Ames in 1811 and was the father of 11 children.

John Tuck was a farmer and cordwainer. The original 6-acre farm included a house and shop. Tuck was also one of the original shareholders of the West Parish Church, founded in 1826.

bibliography/references

Essex County Registry of Dees, Salem, MA. Book, 222, page 103
Essex Institute, Historical Collections, Vol. 52, p. 93. "Andover, Mass. In the Year 1863," Alfred Poor.
Historical Manual of the West Parish Church, 1826-1926.
"Settlers and Old Homesites in West Parish," C.H. Abbot.
Andover, MA. Vital Statistics

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 35 CHANDLER RD
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 35 chandler rd
Historic Name: Tuck, John House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: c. 1818
Source: Registry of Deeds
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: Wood shingles
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures Attached garage
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; approx. frontage 100'; approx. 50' from street
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: J. Patrakis/W. Frontiero
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 30 April 1980

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo