Andover Historic Preservation


61 PORTER RD61 porter rd (click to enlarge)

61 PORTER RD

architectural description

Earthen basement floor

historical narrative

Owners: George and Priscilla Stanley 8/9/33, called Shed House.

1995 Preservation Award - Certificate of Appreciation

Themes - Architectural and Community Development

Original owner William Blunt. Porter Street called South Street until 1863, and with Woburn St. was part of an ancient road from Haverhill to Boston, laid out in 1709. Homestead part of old Blunt Farm. Deeded 1724 by William Blunt to David Blunt. Peter Shedd acquired about 1830, when he married Mary Blunt. 1834 he sold to Thomas Foster. 1852 map lists J. Hacket on site. Other residents were Frank Foster; Henry Flink; Lillie P. Larkin (a recent owner).

1906 atlas: Henry Flint
1926,28,29 dir.: Hall, Frederick, farm possibly owned by Ripley
1856 map: Wilson
1852 map: Ballardvale Co.
1830 map: Peter Shedd
1850 tax list: Estate of Jacob Shedd?
Deeds for the home lot date to Ballards c. 1680's, Blunts from 1709

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Goldsmith: Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
Dorman, Moses: Map of Andover, 1830
1852 map of Andover
Poore, Alfred: "Geneological - Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass. In year 1863", Essex Institute Historical Coll. Vol. 48

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 61 PORTER RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 61 porter rd
Historic Name: Blunt, William Farm or Shedd House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: ca. 1724, 18th century, deeds to lot are dated earlier
Source: AHS files/style njs
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures shingled barn
Major Alterations: renovated/repaired 1936
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 4.69 acres; 13.9 acres with 960' frontage on Porter and 1255' on Spring.
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stark/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo