Andover Historic Preservation


82 PORTER RD82 porter rd (click to enlarge)

82 PORTER RD

architectural description

Door and window trim, c. 1850's house; 2 outbuildings; brick 1st story ell at rear

historical narrative

George B. Horne present owner (1975-77), Nathaniel Hayward original owner.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development.

From a preliminary examination of the interior, what appears from the outside to be a late Federal-Greek farmhouse with 19th century trim, turns out to be a remodelled Early Georgian house with some possibility of an earlier house buried within.
One front room has an exposed summer beam with quirk-beaded edge and beaded edge sheathing. The other front room, apparently of a later finish, has cased summer beam with heavy Early Georgian moldings. The house now has end chimneys and the original staircase has been replaced.

1968 Timothy P. Horne
1962 owner Mrs. Burchard E. Horne
1852 map Henry Edward Hayward
1830 map Jabez Hayward

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
Abbot, Charlotte Helen: Our Border Men" #90
Maps of Andover, 1830, 1852
Poore, Dr. Alfred "Geneological-Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass. In the year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 48, 1912.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 82 PORTER RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 82 porter rd
Historic Name: Hayward House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: early 18th century (possibly 1/2 even 1st period)
Source: njs style
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern barn-garage
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 18.46 acres with 250' frontage on Porter
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo