Andover Historic Preservation


142 HIDDEN RD142 hidden rd (click to enlarge)

142 HIDDEN RD

historical narrative

Present owner: Carles Howe

Original owner: Darius Abbot

Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development

Historical significance: Probably originally part of Holt homestead - Deed from Darius Abbot, housewright, 16. April, 1776, reads "our homestead land with dwelling house thereon - lyes on road leading from John Fiske (now 331 So. Main/Turner Farm) to meeting house".
Darius Abbot and Mary Holt thus sold to Jacob Jones of North Wilmington and remained in Jones family until 1895. Ebenezer Jones Jr. married Mary K. Holt of Sunset Rock Farm nearby. 1828 - 1832, Ebenezer, having inherited from father, remodelled. He raised roof to put in two more rooms, added projection to north and west porch and pantry. Large original chimney removed to make two new chimneys. House, which had probably been a lean-to with single large chimney now had two chimneys, 2 kitchens - (perhaps more than one family living there then. Windows were changed; new north projection had "summer kitchen" with "corn-room" above.
Old house was cut in half - 1/2 went down the Hill to Issac Goldsmith's property; 1/2 at Sunset Rock as dwelling for Dr. Witting's servants (says Charlotte Helen Abbott).

House had hand-hewn gunstock beams of oak wainscotting; panelled walls; fireplace every room; batten doors; wide floor boards; small-paned windows.
Sea captain Bennet Ives, Georgiana and Sarah Ives owned, 1895.
Frederick Bacheller of Lawrence owned land and house, but never lived there. (He built "Twin Cedars" - bungalow on So. Main, 1912).
March 1911, Bacheller sold house to Arthur W. Bassett. Oldest Elm in Andover on property.

Redone since 1978 - restored to original condition ?

bibliography/references

Andover Historical society files

Interview with owner of abuting property - Col. Harris, So. Main Street

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 142 HIDDEN RD
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 142 hidden rd
Historic Name: Jones - Bassett Farm
Present Use: residence
Original Use: farmhouse
Date of Construction: exact date uncertain - early 18th century; ?et. (before 1776) older than outward appearance indicates.
Source:
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder: probably Darius Abbot - housewright
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: remodelled (1828 - 1832) Part of house removed (1830's)
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo