Andover Historic Preservation


14 SCHOOL ST14 school st (click to enlarge)

14 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

historical narrative

Present owner Phillips Academy (9-27-56). Abbot Academy land bought by W. Draper.
Themes - Architectural, Community development and Education. Land adjoining 12 School Street, owned by Pratts, who had cottage here. When they died, Warren F. Draper, Treasurer of Abbot Academy, bought and presented it to the school. A portion of it was sold to Phillips Academy for their fraternity house. Abbot built this house. In 1942, occupied by Prof. Walter E. Howe, music director at Abbot. Later owners Kenneth S. and Rita C. Semple.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 14 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 14 school st
Historic Name: Phillips Academy Dormitory and Faculty Housing
Present Use: residence
Original Use: faculty residence
Date of Construction: 1890-1900
Source: style, njs
Style/Form: Queen Anne
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone
Wall/Trim: clapboards, shingles
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures small modern garage
Major Alterations: remodeled 1956
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 24,600 sq. ft. 72' frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo