Andover Historic Preservation


125b RIVER RD

architectural description

Style: Georgian

Other features:
site & buildings endangered by industrialization and Highway development.

historical narrative

Present owner: Catherine Shattuck, estate of - J. A. Dolten, Trustees (August 1977)

Original owner: Land originally C. L. Dudley Bradstreet house, Joseph Shattuck

Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement, Recreation

Historical significance: Land believed to be part of Col. Dudley Bradstreet's farm, part of which came into possession of Sarah Farnum, wife of Benjamin Abbot, - and then to sons, David and Jonathan Abbot. Jonathan's daughter, Phebe, was married to Joseph Shattuck Jr.. Thus, Shattucks have occupied since 1807.
Bailey says, Joseph Shattuck "bought farm in West Andover near Merrimack River" 1728. His sons, revolutionary war soldiers, Capt. Joseph and Capt. Nathan settled within mile of each other on their father's lands. Both were selectmen, representatives to legislature. This was Joseph's homestead.
About 1941, Edward Shattuck retired from business in Boston and devoted himself to restoring this farm. He became known for price turkeys, which he fed bananas, and his Holstein cattle. He restored house and opened it as Shattuck Farm Tea House.
Indian village once on site. Many artifacts from archeological digs here - now in Peabody Museum, Andover.

Fire damage, rest of house, July 1977.

bibliography/references

see 1980 National Register nomination for updated information

Andover Historical Society files / early deeds 1723 / 1724

Bailey, Sarah Loring; "Historical Sketches of Andover", 1880 p. 155, 364-365, 367, 369

Glennie, George etal; "Historic Andover", 325th Anniversary, 1646 - 1971, Andover Historical Society, 1971

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses in Andover" - compiled for Tercentary of Andover, Historical Society, 1946

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 125b RIVER RD
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 125b river rd
Historic Name: Abbott - Shattuck Farm
Present Use: residence - now abandoned except for care taker - fate is uncertain
Original Use: farm/residence
Date of Construction: ca. 1728
Source: early deeds, A. H. S. files
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures fine barn, sheds
Major Alterations: restored after 1941
Condition:
Moved: 233 - 234 High Plain Road
Demolished:
Acreage: frontage: 181.95'
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: N. J. Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo