Andover Historic Preservation


127 RIVER RD

architectural description

Style; Vernacular Georgian

Other features:
site & buildings in danger of industrialization, highway development

historical narrative

Present owner: estate of "Edward & Catherine Shattuck: J. A. Dolten, Trustees

Original owner: land, part of Dudley Bradstreet farm; house - Joseph Shattuck

Subsequent use: Colonial Restaurant, 1946

Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement

Historical significence: Land, part of Col. Dudley Bradstreet farm. Passed to Sarah Farnum Abbot, wife of Benjamin, who gave her share to her son, David (deed 1694). In 1718, Jonathan and Hannah Abbot and David's family occupied houses on Shattuck farm about a mile apart.
1818 - Abbot's sold to Frederick Noyes.
!871 - Noyes sold to four Shattuck brothers. Owners, Catherine and Edward Shattuck developed colonial restaurant here, 1946.

For about 500 years until 1500's, there was a large Indian village here - the original site now mostly under water, as building of Lawrence Dam changed river.

Future of site and buildings uncertain, since land taken by option for industry forms part of 600 acre tract now belonging to Hewlett - Packard. Route 93 development split off east side of farm.

bibliography/references

see 1980 National Register nomination for updated information

Glennie, George etal; "Historic Andover", 325th Anniversary, 1646 - 1971, Andover Historical Society, 1971

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses in Andover" - , Mass. 1946

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 127 RIVER RD
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 127 river rd
Historic Name: Abbot - shattuck - Noyes House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: farm
Date of Construction: early 19th century
Source:
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation: stone foundation
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures sheds attached
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved: moved to 233 - 234 High Plain Road
Demolished:
Acreage: 2.7 acres
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: N. J. Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo