Andover Historic Preservation


9 SALEM ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

Style Georgian - Federal

Other features: rear part of house may be original

historical narrative

Present owner: Phillips Academy

Original owner: Captain Towne

Subsequent uses: dormitory for Phillips Academy students (1810 - )

Themes: Architectural, Community development, Education

Historical significance: Tradition maintains that this house is on site of oldest building on Andover Hill. Deed of 1801 shows purchase of building by Phillips Academy trustees. Captain Towne lived in an old house here and trustees made extensive alterations and added wing. In 1806, they offered it rent-free to Eliphalet Pearson, inducing him to return to Andover to help found the Andover Theological Seminary. Pearson had been first principal of Phillips Academy, 1778 - 1786; went to Harvard College, 1786 as Professor of Hebrew, resigning that post in 1806 to return to Andover. He lived here until 180? Serving one year in the new seminary as Assoc. professor of Sacred Literature.
Principal of Phillips Academy, John Adams lived here 1810 - 1833. He had 10 children of his own and boarded six or more students here as well. Sarah Stuart Robbins writes in detail about the Adams family during their residence here. Warren F. Draper, printer/publisher and benefactor of the academy and Abbot, lived here and boarded students, until he moved to his house on School Street about 1868 (?). Teachers and trustees also lived here at the same time, such as George Cooke Merrill, 1865 - 1869; Hon. Alpheus Hardy, President of Board of Trustees, (1858 - 1887.
William Goldsmith lived here 1870 - 1871 when he was Peabody Instructor at Phillips Academy. Professor William Blair Graves, 1881 - 1915; Ferderick Newton, 1915 until his retirement, followed by the Bentons, all faculty members.
In 1881, the older section was entirely removed and demolished and was replaced by a new ell, added to the annex, so that no part now dates back to before 1804. The house contains interesting old wood-work.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files.

Andover Townsman, Dec 11, 1936

Fuess, Claude; "An Old New England School", History of Phillips Academy, Andover, Houghton Mifflin

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses of Andover", Mass. 1946

Paradise, Scott; "Some old Houses and Historic Sites", 1934

Phillips Academy Bulletin: "Old Houses of Andover" - July 1915

Robins?, Sarah Stuart; "Old Andover Days: Memories of a Puritan Childhood" 1908

Deed of Sale from Captain Towne to Phillips Academy Trustees, 1801

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 9 SALEM ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 9 salem st
Historic Name: Hardy - Adams House - Phillips Academy
Present Use: Admissions Office - Phillips Academy
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1804
Source: B. Goldsmith
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: "rebuilt" and added annex (1804); "new" ell (1881)
Condition:
Moved: no
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; approximate frontage: 98'
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo