Andover Historic Preservation


67 SALEM ST67 salem st (click to enlarge)

67 SALEM ST

architectural description

NRIND NRMRA

Other features: solid pine door - First period architecture

historical narrative

Present owner: Sherwood, George & Ruth

Original owner: Joseph Holt

Themes: Architectural, Community development

Historical significance: Known as the "Little Brown Cottage" this originally stood on the opposite side of Salem Street on the site of the Joseph Blunt House. The exact date and architect is unknown. In 1803 it was sold to William Hawley.

It was bought by Job Abbott of Scotland District, for his daughter, Lucy Abbott, when she married Joseph Holt in 1835. Later, Joseph Holt built Blunt House and cottage, moving there and sold the "Little Brown Cottage" to Brainard Cummings. The house was moved across the street presumably by Joseph Holt when he built the present Joseph Blunt House.
Brainard Cummings sold to Mrs. Joanna Erving, who sold to Ira Eastman, who sold to Louis Davis, whose sister, Mrs. Healy occupied 1939 - 1960.
Retired architect, George Sherwood, bought it in 1960 and restored it.
1896 "Catalogue of Loan Collection" for 250th anniversary of Andover in "List of Old Houses and Sites" writes: " A very old house; formerly stood on opposite side of the street, sold to William Hawley in 1803. Reverent Dr. William Goodell, the famous missionary to Turkey for 40 years, lived here in 1811. Said by Bellows, the artist, to be the most picturesque house in Andover".
House cut in half when moved from corner of Woodland and Salem Streets across the street. Half attached to Victorian then being built. Sherwood, who specialized in Colonial Revival in architecture rewbuilt house, keeping old beams but replacing other old materials with new (reproductions). He had the architectural knowledge to truly restore and make the ancient dwelling livable and functional for today's life.
"Directory of Andover" 1891, 1899 - cites Augustus M. Davis, owner

June 1990 Andover Preservation Awards

bibliography/references

see 1980 National Register for updated information

Building marker: 1992

Andover Historical Society files

"Catalogue of Loan Collection at Punchard Hall"; 250th Anniversary Celebration, Town of andover, 1896, pg. 42

"Directory of Andover"' 1891, 1899

Sherwood, George; "Restoration of 17th Century House" - Andover Historical Society, Dec 3, 1962

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 67 SALEM ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 67 salem st
Historic Name: Holt - Cummings - Davis House; "Little Brown cottage"
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: 1700
Source:
Style/Form: Georgian
Architect/Builder: unknown
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof: wood shingles
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures barn/ garage
Major Alterations: restored by Sherwoods (1961 - 1962)
Condition:
Moved: 1870's
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; lot size: 19,400 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 90'
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo