Andover Historic Preservation


212 SALEM ST212 salem st (click to enlarge)

212 SALEM ST

architectural description

Style: Georgian

Other features: Saltbox - first period architecture added on to ?

historical narrative

Present owner: Graber, Richard & Rachel (1964)

Original owner: Robert Gray? (1699 - 1700)

Themes: Architectural, Community development

Subsequent uses: shoemaker's shop - mid 19th century

Historical significance: Probably built by Robert Gray before the more imposing David Gray House - 252 Salem Street. Gray married daughter of Nicholas Holt, owned much land in vicinity. Robert Gray, mariner, married Hannah Holt and received this land as a gift from his father-in-law.
Present owner has copy of 1765 deed, from James Holt and James Holt III to Timothy Holt, with mention of dwelling-house 1806; Timothy Holt to Samuel Cummings, Cummings sold 1814; 1822; Charles Abbott to Stephen Holt.

Original chimney changed to enlarge house ca. 1765 to 1830. Shoemaker's shop located here. David Gray III 1860's (?) - (present owner has found traces - ie. Tools, old leather)
Tafts owned and Barbara Hart occupied 1930's.
1962 owner - James Jr. and Barbara R. Caldwell.

bibliography/references

Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historic Houses of Andover", 1946

Interview with present owner.

Deed, 1765, April 27.

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 212 SALEM ST
Place:
Historic District: Not Applicable
Address: 212 salem st
Historic Name: Gray, Robert House
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: ca. 1700 (owner says 1765 1st definite house date)
Source: assessors' records
Style/Form: Other
Architect/Builder:
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures modern garage barn across street moved 1860's
Major Alterations: improved (1790) and renovated (1960's) added windows but fitting to form of house (1970's)
Condition:
Moved: no
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; lot size: 17,802 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 252'
Setting:
MHC inventory number:
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975 - 1977

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo