Andover Historic Preservation


19 SCHOOL ST19 school st (click to enlarge)

19 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA

historical narrative

Phillips Academy present owner 7/2/73. Mary Hooker Corneluis original owner.

Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education.

David Hidden built for widow of Rev. Elias Cornelius. They previously lived at Samaritan House, 1826-29, when he was secretary of American Education Board (1826-31). Mrs. Cornelius wrote a famous cookbook here in her new house. David Rice lived here for a time. He was a partner with David Hidden, the seminary carpentar, at one time. David Hiddens's Tally Book reads "Aug. 19, 1833 - began work on Mrs. Cornelius's fence. There was 12 days work done." House sold to Edward Buck (he died 1876) and later occupied by his children.
Directory 1901: Alice Buck and brother, Walter, resident. He was in real estate. She was moving force to save Indian Ridge property from development and preserve it as open space - recreational area for townspeople. Widow Mary Buck estate - Charles McDuffie 1946 - to Trustees of Abbot Academy 1966.

bibliography/references

Andover Historical Society files
David Hidden - Tally Book at Andover Historical Society

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 19 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 19 school st
Historic Name: McDuffie House - Phillips Academy
Present Use: residence
Original Use:
Date of Construction: 1838
Source: Hidden's record/style - njs
Style/Form: Federal
Architect/Builder: David Hidden
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures
Major Alterations: bays and projections
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: less than one acre; 32,940 sq. ft.; approx. frontage Morton - 168', School - 240'
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.515
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo