Andover Historic Preservation


22 SCHOOL ST22 school st (click to enlarge)

22 SCHOOL ST

architectural description

NRDIS NRMRA,
Queen Anne additions on what seems to be Federal-Greek basic form.
3 dormers on roof; brick porch/rounded and pillared; side entrance; long window meets over rounded front; columned and pilastered porch.

historical narrative

Rev. John Lord Taylor Original owner.

Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education.

Jacob Chickering worked on this house. Bill at MVTM lists: "7 windows in shed, 2 garret windows, 3 long windows front, 2 short windows front in chambers, 2 door frames, stairs front entry piazza - $185 stone and brick work. Plastering Maine house, two stories".

1899 Rev. John Phelps Taylor resident. (Andover Directory 1899). He was minister of Seminar Chapel. His father, Rev. John Lord Taylor, built house when he was pastor of South Parish Church. Willed to Andover Seminary with request that if his son, John Phelps, came to Andover to live he could occupy free from rent. He came to Andover 1863 to teach Biblical Theology and History in Andover Theological Seminary. Both men were Abbot Trustees. Property transferred to Abbot Academy, 1913. 1962 - Mr. and Mrs. Burton S. Flagg, Treasurer of Abbot Academy, occupied for over 35 years.

bibliography/references

Directories of Andover
"Jubilee Meeting of Class 1858 at Phillips Academy - held June 17, 1908 on Andover Hill at Commencement dinner and at home of Professor Taylor, Class Valedictorian.", 1908.
Andover Historical Society files
Andover Townsman, Dec. 19, 1915
Chickering, Jacob: Miscellaneous bills, records

inventory data

Table: Inventory Data for 22 SCHOOL ST
Place: Andover Center
Historic District: Academy Hill NRH District
Address: 22 school st
Historic Name: Flagg House - Phillips Academy
Present Use: residence
Original Use: residence
Date of Construction: c. 1840
Source: style, njs
Style/Form: Greek Revival
Architect/Builder: Jacob Chickering builder
Foundation:
Wall/Trim: clapboards/brick
Roof:
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures garage at rear
Major Alterations:
Condition:
Moved:
Demolished:
Acreage: 3.36 acres, approx. 142' frontage
Setting:
MHC inventory number: ANV.517
Recorded by: Stack/Mofford
Organization: Andover Historical Commission
Date: 1975-77

other historic buildings



 
Andover Preservation Commission logo
 
Andover Historical Society logo
 
Memorial Hall Library logo